2.11.2005

blue like jazz

this book, "Blue Like Jazz" by donald miller, was recommended to me recently. i bought a copy and sat down to read it. i didn't get up again until i had read the whole thing. miller calls it "nonreligious thoughts on christian spirituality." i call it food for my soul. this book was a God moment for me. if you ever have questions, doubts, wonderings about your faith like i have, then this book is a must read. i loved it.

brian mclaren said this about it,
"I can think of no better book than
Blue Like Jazz to introduce Christian spirituality (a way of life) to people for whom Christianity (a system of beliefs) seems like a bad math problem or a traffic jam. Donald Miller writes like a good improv solo - smooth, sweet, surprising, uplifting, and full of soul and fury and joy. When I finished the last page, I felt warmed, full of hope, and confident that this great book will echo with beauty in many, many lives as it is doing in mine."

also, thanks to those of you who replied to my last post. i appreciate your thoughts. thank you for the reminder to live in the tension between feeling the responsibility for those entrusted to me, yet leaving the results of my ministry up to God. if you have more thoughts or ideas, please continue the conversation.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I've never read it, but I have heard of it, and it looks like something I'd like. I will have to check it out.

b.rando said...

i wondered if it was the same guy from some things he said in Blue Like Jazz. i'll have to check out his new one sometime. i'm actually planning on reading through Blue again to pick up more - i read through it pretty quick the first time.