7.21.2005

east of eden

while i was on holidays i read a book called east of eden by john steinbeck. it was really thick and really good. anyway, there was one bit in the book where they got talking about the story of cain and abel from genesis chapter four. one character did a study on the original hebrew of the verse where God tells cain that sin lies at his door and he must master it. anyway, it was quite neat the way steinbeck developed the thought. he showed the character comparing this idea of mastering the sin from several translations... kjv says "thou shalt" master it, communicating an idea that he will conquer the sin, it's predestined for him to do so. but the asv says "do thou," communicating the idea that it is a command for him to do so. the character in the story dug into the original hebrew meaning and found the word timshel which means in the character's words "thou mayest." this idea is communicated in most modern translations as "you must," or "you've got to," or "you should" rule/master/conquer it, which communicates the idea that cain had a choice - not a command, not predestined to succeed or fail, but a choice that he had to make. steinbeck's character in the story was impacted with the import of that truth, saying, "that makes a man of you!"

it is so true! knowing that God has woven into the design of our world the opportunity for us to make real choices and decisions with real consequences that echo in eternity makes men and women of us! it means that we matter, that we have worth, that God says we are important. it means that everything that i do counts for something. it means that i have the opportunity to be a slimeball or to be someone great. it means that God has given me the potential to be good, to do rightly, to become what i was created to be. the opportunity to be a man lies at my feet waiting for me to take it. it is my choice, given to me by a God who designed me with the capacity to grow and become and choose.

steinbeck's east of eden dealt with this theme throughout the book, showing characters wrestling to discover their hidden goodness and strength, battling with the sin on their doorstep, the temptations drawing them, wondering if they were destined to repeat the sins of their fathers and mothers, struggling to live rightly. steinbeck ends his book with a father blessing his son who was wrestling with this very issue by saying, "timshel" - thou mayest.

choice, it makes a man of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to let you know that Lil' Brudder is a real trooper and that I have a, um, food in the oven.

Angela said...

Amen! This is kindof what Morgan is preaching on on Sunday...choices and reconciliation with God. I love how you are constantly developing your thoughts and stretching your mind, Brandon. You inspire me.
Give some props to Karen for me!! Now she's a true Shillington. :-) Sounds like you had fun. Mom's hiking Crows Pass this weekend. I was going to go, but am not quite sure enough about my eating routine yet to do such strenuous continuous exercise. (Have to carry in all your food; I eat alot of fresh fruits and veggies). Pray for her safety though. She's with a group of 11 women. No amenities. Carry in everything...fiord a glacier river...hiking with bears and moose. She was so excited last night she couldn't sleep. Well I will go b/c this is not an email system; it's a comment posting, so enough chatter. I'm going to make a choice now to stop. Bye.

Rachael said...

A while back, Meg and I were chatting about "choices" and how sometimes we don't realize that choice is what a lot of life is about and especially as Christians (seemed so much deeper when we were talking, ha).
Anyways, I love reading your posts. Its like watching you stretch and grow but then I get to grow too because you're stuff is thought provoking. I love it that you're so honest and real. I'm not being weird here..either..but I'm proud of you Brandon! If we're all family from BBC..then you're my bro..and in that sense..yah..I can say it. I'm proud of who you are and who you are becoming ;) Peace.

Jo said...

you've made me want to read the book now brandon. that, and drury says it's one of his favorites too!

Robin said...

Well if it's good enough for Keith...

Kate Patterson said...

you need to post soon!