3.31.2005

another song

here's another song i've written. it kindof goes along with my story from a few posts back. it's a song dealing with the frustration of feeling at a place where i was lost but didn't know exactly where to turn or how to get out. i debated with myself about putting some redemptive uplift near the end, but decided to leave it with the frustrating feeling of lostness. my redemption finds it's voice in other songs. this is one of my favorite songs that i have written so far, and it is my first rock song. (most of my stuff is pretty mellow)

the 23rd floor

i awoke to realize, safety crumbles as i rise
the world around i thought i knew, when i arrived it crumbled too
as soon as i stepped out the door, confusion knocked me to the floor
she opened up her arms to me, then she bent me over her knee

choices, questions needing answers
i don't always know which way to turn
so many options, so many ways to go
there's a thousand doors on the 23rd floor

the way ahead had seemed so clear, but now there's no direction here
jumping ship had crossed my mind, don't worry dad i'm doing fine
i picked a door and headed in, obedience or was it sin
a thousand more doors lay before, wonder what's in door twenty four

choices, questions needing answers
i don't always know which way to turn
so many options, so many ways to go
there's a thousand doors on the 23rd floor
there's a thousand doors on the 23rd

dichotomy of two extremes
while i am choking in between

choices, questions needing answers
i don't always know which way to turn
so many options, so many ways to go
there's a thousand doors on the 23rd floor

5 comments:

matthew said...

I like this one quite a bit

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...

some of the lines are so potent. it has potential for a music video: I'm seeing an overwhelming number of doors in a corridor that goes on and on infinately.

b.rando said...

thanks all, yeah jo, that's the picture exactly. kindof like that scene from one of the matrix movies when they are with the keymaker in the hallway and don't know which door to go in - except a much bigger hallway, like you described.

mostly it's a picture of the confusion in the dark places along the journey with God. in those times i don't always know what choice to make. it's not always clear.

Heather Durkee said...

Hey Brando, Great blog! I hope things are going well for you. I like how you are writing songs. This is a habit that I have gotten into for the last few years. Its awesome to be able to express yourself through music. Keep Posting!